Albany Area Chamber Legislative Agenda 2019
Believing that Albany – Dougherty County is vital to the economic wellbeing of Southwest Georgia and is empowered with advocating for a strong quality of life while protecting its economic competitiveness, the Chamber will promote outcomes on the following issues:
2019 Legislative Priorities
Believing that Albany the Albany is vital to the economic well-being of Southwest Georgia and is empowered with advocating for a strong quality of life and protecting and enhancing its economic competitiveness, the Albany Area Chamber of Commerce promote outcomes on the following issues:
Economic Development, Tourism and Taxation
- Support extending the state job tax credit program to include jobs retained by businesses severely impacted in federally-declared emergency areas.
- Support extending the established investment tax credit to include businesses severely impacted in federally-declared emergency areas that reinvest in their existing communities.
- Support partnerships between state government and local communities for greenfield projects that encourage private sector redevelopment.
- Oppose legislation that allows discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation or practice.
- Encourage increased investment in Georgia’s tourism marketing funding to more effectively compete with Southeastern states.
- Support regional collaboration, marketing and partnerships between local chambers of commerce, development authorities and local governments to achieve economies of scale in rural areas.
- Facilitate the growth of military installations, defense industries and support service members and families so that Georgia is considered a military-friendly state.
- Expand broadband capacity through public-private investment and incentives.
- Support investments that modernize Southwest Georgia Regional Airport, which serves as a gateway to the Albany Area’s business and tourism assets. Modern commercial and maintenance hangers that meet the needs of the customer base will allow for improving aviation services and the expansion of the fixed-based operator’s services.
Education & Workforce Development
- Maintain college- and career-ready standards for K-12 public education to promote a more globally competitive workforce.
- Support the Commodore Conyers and Career Academy’s initiative to improve the math skills of students through the continuation of Georgia MathCorps. In the second year of the program at the academy, Georgia MathCorps will continue to work with teaching programs at the academy and Albany State University to provide volunteer opportunities that will prepare future educators for the employment in the region while impacting today’s students.
- Ensure the viability of our statewide health system.
- Support initiatives and investments that strengthen our regional health care delivery system.