S P L O S T 8
The Albany Area Chamber of Commerce supports the renewal of the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST), a 1 percent sales tax for capital projects that improve the quality of life of our citizens and strengthen the economy for all.
The Albany Area Chamber has historically supported SPLOST and successfully led the voter advocacy efforts that helped get these projects across the finish line. That’s because we recognize the impact of the projects on our community. These taxes are indeed special because of their project lists; because they must be approved by the voters; and because they allow for maximum local impact with limited burden on the local taxpayer. Read more about SPLOST 8 in our digital brochure.
The Albany Area Chamber encourages voters to vote “YES” to continue SPLOST.
SPLOST 8 is expected to generate $109,550,000. We estimate that nearly 50 percent of the tax collection is from visitors, in essence alleviating residents of Albany and Dougherty County through a significant discount on its investment of much-needed projects and improvements. SPLOST revenue supports mandatory and critical projects that would otherwise not be possible.
Scope of Work Includes
- Fire trucks, police cars & ambulances
- Improvements for sewer, storm drainage, roads & bridges
- Recreational facilities & improvements to attractions
- Health & wellness facilities
- Infrastructure: $35,892,000
- Recreation, Attractions & Economic Development: $34,100,000
- Public Safety: $24,000,000
- Health, Community & Operational Improvements: $15,558,000
>> Early Voting: October 17-November 4
>> Election Day: November 8
Flip through our digital brochure.